Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Annuity or Not?

This post may make me sound old. You've been warned.

I've mentioned before that I work for a Financial Services Firm. I process applications for annuities. Without being too much of a bore, an annuity is essentially a way to save and invest for retirement. Once one reaches a certain age, money earned from said investments will be distributed monthly. A 401k is an annuity.

My firm is changing some of our benefit packages associated with our annuities (hence my temp job) and I have about 4 days to decide whether or not I want to invest in an annuity and take advantage of some of the benefits that will be going away.

I've never had a job that's offered a 401k or any other type of savings plan and at the rate my job, the economy, and the job market are going, I won't be getting one anytime soon.. This would be a good opportunity to start saving for retirement.

What do you think? Do you have a retirement plan? Do I sound old?

1 comment:

  1. By no means am I Suze Orman, but I think that a good ROTH IRA is the most important thing to have at our age. Then again, saving money and any reasonably safe form can't be bad!

    ReplyDelete